BOTOX / Dysport
Botox/Dysport injections are the fastest-growing cosmetic procedures in the industry, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). The procedure is one of the safest available for the reduction or softening of wrinkles. At Jupiter Dermatology and Hair Restoration, Dr. Mejia frequently uses these to treat frown lines between the eyebrows, forehead wrinkles, and lines around the eyes (Crow’s Feet). It may also be used to treat lines around the mouth and those on the neck. A few tiny injections are administered to the skin, which calm the muscles and thus, allows for a smoother, more relaxed appearance. The effect may take three to five days to appear.
The overall advantages of treating wrinkles with Botox®/Dysport
- Reduces or eliminates wrinkles without surgery
- Corrects underlying muscles (as opposed to the skin’s surface as peels do)
- Provides dramatic effects which are customizable and reversible
- Some patients report they no longer experience migraine headaches.
- No sedation or anesthesia is needed; however, you may choose to have the area numbed with a cold pack or anesthetic cream prior to injecting.
- Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Most patients compare the sensation to a pinprick and treatment takes only a few minutes.
How does Botox/Dysport work?
First, a few drops of Botox/Dysport are injected (with a tiny needle) into the muscle that creates the wrinkle. When Botox/Dysport is injected into a muscle, it blocks the nerve impulse from reaching that area, and as a result, the muscle weakens. As the muscle weakens, the skin overlying the muscle relaxes and the wrinkles in the skin gradually soften and often disappear. If a specific muscle can’t move, it can’t cause a wrinkle. Botox/Dysport treatments does not affect normal facial expressions.
What can Botox/Dysport be used for?
- Frown, Worry, Laugh, and Bunny Lines
- Periorbital Wrinkles (Crow’s Feet)
- Brow Lift or Brow Asymmetry
- Drooping Mouth Corners
- Lip Wrinkles, Chest Wrinkles, and Vertical Lines
- Platysma Stranding (“Neck Banding”)
- Hyperhidrosis (severe underarm sweating)
- Reducing horizontal creases on the forehead
Are there any side effects?
Side effects of Botox/Dysport are minimal, with slight discomfort upon injection of the solution. This may be minimized by the use of a topical numbing cream one hour prior to the injection. Bruising at the sight of injection may occur but is not common. One percent of patients develop a slight lowering or ptosis of one eyelid and, also rarely, asymmetry of facial expression.
These effects are temporary and may not even be noticed by the patient. You may resume normal activity immediately. You may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows within days. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 5 months. After that, the muscle action returns. When frown lines reappear, a repeat treatment is necessary to regain the results.
Botox/Dysport has been safely and successfully used in wrinkle therapy for almost 10 years. The FDA for neurological disorders has approved it. In the amounts used for wrinkle therapy, the only possible side effects are temporary and localized to the area of injection.