Small scars tend to fade with time, but for larger or deeper scaring, you might consider scar revision treatment from Ricardo Mejia, MD, who specializes in cosmetic plastic surgery of the skin. Many severe scars will never completely go away, but scar revision can greatly reduce their appearance.
What is Scar Revision?
Scar revision is an effort to improve the appearance of a scar. The goal is to make the scar blend with the rest of the skin so that it’s less noticeable. Scars can be present anywhere on the body, but individuals often choose scar revision for more visible areas such as the face, hands, arms, and legs.
Common Types of Scars
Scars are visible indications of a skin injury that has healed and can differ in size, color, and texture, appearing as raised or depressed. Common types of scars include:
- Hypertrophic scars: a result of an overaggressive healing process causing a raised bump of darkened tissue.
- Keloid scars: similar in appearance to a hypertrophic scar but can affect surrounding skin as well resulting in rough elevated scarring.
- Contracture scar: caused by an intense burn resulting in tightened skin.
- Acne scars: can appear as deep pits in the skin or flat dark marks.
- Incision scars: scars present after a plastic surgery or medical procedure, often appearing dark and raised.
- Burn scars: Can be removed with our CO2 laser.
Scar Revision Treatment Options
Scar revision treatment should only be done once your wound has fully healed. Your specific treatment plan will depend on the type of scar you have and its severity and might include one or a combination of the following:
- Surgery to remove a keloid.
- Injectable fillers to improve depressed scarring.
- Laser therapy to promote healthy skin formation.
- Chemical peel to improve skin tone and texture.
- Dermabrasion to exfoliate the surface of the skin.
- Creams, gels, or ointments for scars caused by injury.
Ricardo Mejia, MD will determine the best course of treatment for you based on the severity of the scar. Multiple treatment sessions might be required to effectively improve skin appearance. If you have a noticeable scar that you would like to remove or revise, contact Jupiter Dermatology to develop your unique scar revision treatment plan.